Monday 3 June 2013

I believe in God of miracles and wonders-Truth be told my story is a miracle.


What other appropriate time for such reflections other than now when I am headed for my graduation in few days…..……

The story of Abraham Lincoln born of a poor family on the American frontier is an incredible one. The story goes that he worked pretty hard on their farm but was always looking forward to a life more that being a farmer. He longed to be a lawmaker himself so he taught himself law and later ran for the state legislature. 

Born in February 12 1809 he spent his formative years in a log cabin in rural Kentucky.  Loosing his mother at the age of 9 he did not loose hope but continued in his fight for a better life. At six feet four inches tall, Lincoln was raw-boned and lanky, but muscular and physically strong. He was known for his skill in wielding an axe and early on made a living splitting wood for fire and rail fencing.

It is believed that he read many books and one among them was the family Bible. Soon the poor boy would change the course of world history by becoming the brilliant orator and one of the most admired presidents of the United States if not the best. Abe finally proclaimed freedom for all Americans. 

Despite business failure, great personal loss, rejection, political defeat, tremendous emotional stress, family crisis and severe financial difficulties, Abraham Lincoln ascended to the highest  position in his country. From log cabin to white house, from poverty to the president, Lincoln faced many obstacles, political and private, but overcame them by faith and the determination to never give up.

President Roosevelet once said that Lincoln's life "preeminently and distinctly embodied all that is most american.........doctrine of the strenuous life."

When I think of his story proverbs 22:9 comes to mind. “See you a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men.” For sure he was diligent and hard working and God out of His grace and mercy lifted him up.

Abe childhood story makes me think of mine too. Though miles and miles apart, and in different times in history I went through the same pain, sorrow and suffering. I lived not in the best of houses and I counted among the low of the society. Having lost my dad at the age of 9 I felt my life had come to an end but I never gave up for I knew the God of our family torn old Bible was working something for us. 

Sometimes going to school with no warm clothing, trekking barefoot and having to endure the dew of the morning, my toes and fingers would go numb. Despite of all those suffering my teachers would beat me in the morning for coming to school late which was painful but which I am forever grateful. They taught me the value of life and the need for diligence.

Looking back I can vividly remember struggling to get food, being sent away for school fees as low as Ksh 900 (£7) and having to stay at home for weeks before it would be realised.  When I got sick mum and I would have to travel far to access even simple medication. Nevertheless all these hindrances did not stop me in pursuing my dreams and passion.

When I say I believe in God of miracles and wonders I literally mean that! Who would have thought that a poor boy of no well known heritage, no connections at all, in fact despised by many and the list is endless would one day be listing all these blessings on my side!!

God of miracles you’re my papa oooh*2

God is Great and greatly to be praised
Who can tell all the things he’s done
Everyday I will sing your praise

Your mighty works we will tell the world
Your Kingdom reigns now and evermore
Your power we see all through history
He parts the sea and set the people free
And all the needs they had he satisfy

God of miracles you’re my papa oooh*2

1 comment:

  1. Great is the Lord who indeed has never failed you. Thanks for sharing this testimony. The Lord will continue guiding you to higher heights in knowledge, wisdom and life. Happy graduation Gerald,
    bro. Newton.

    ReplyDelete