Tuesday 18 June 2013

Why is there so much suspicion between Kenyans and Nigerians?



 All over the world nations are known to love other nations but also hate others in the same measure. The relationship between India and Pakistan can not be branded as one of brotherly love. Since the violent partition of British India in 1947 these two nations have fought numerous military wars over their shared Kashmir region. Though the two neighbours share economic links, common history and culture and more closely their geography, their relationship is one of open hostility and great suspicion. 

Consequently, India has found more close allies far from it borders. One of them is Israel; The Times of India (2010) reported that the military and strategic ties between the two nations extended to joint military training and space technology. It was also reported that India was Israel’s largest defence market, accounting for almost fifty percent of Israeli sales.  Two nations far apart with no common heritage and history but in fact with different cultures and religions become best of friends because of their shared concerns in fighting extremism.
Other examples of strong ties include United Kingdom and Portugal. Information acquired on British archives and government websites show of a relationship that dates back to the Middle Ages.  In 1373 the Kingdom of England signed the Anglo-Portuguese Alliance, the oldest alliance in the world still in force. 

When the Cubans and the Americans talk of each other fire comes out of their mouths. Russians and the Americans have a long-standing history of strained relationship.  Nations treat each other differently, I once heard of an English friend saying that France would be a better nation without the French. Whether that is true or not I can not tell and I better stay away from their politics.

Kenya has had an equal measure of relationship with her neighbours.  As the largest economy in East Africa and with the strongest regional financial and transportation hub Kenya is seen at least by all her neighbours as a bully. Ask a Ugandan or a Tanzanian about what they think and they will paint a grim picture of Kenya and Kenyans. While that is going on, Kenya asserts herself as the regional policeman and saviour whose destiny and salvation lies solely on her own hands!

 I have read a bit of history about relationships between nations and people but there is none involving Kenya that intrigues more than the one we have with Nigerians. The mention of the word Nigeria or worse still Nigerians to a Kenyan they would raise red flags. We mimic their accents; we make fun of their lifestyles and everything about them.  (I’m coming home ooh, Igwe, uuhm, Ni Mnijo bana)

My hair had grown a disturbing length and I needed it trimmed. Looking around for a barber I could hardly get any one willing to cut it for fear that they were going to mess it and in any case many wondered why I would want to do away with it anyway. Another reason I had stayed away from the barber was the cost issue-one shave would cost an equivalent of what it would cost to feed a family of four for three days back home so why waste it! Anyways I set myself in a mission to look for an African barber and guess who was available to do it- Just Guess.

I walked in, sat down and waited for my turn. Signalling with his hand the next available barber ushered me to the seat. I told him how I wanted to have my hair cut and as usual I started to bargain for a ‘better deal’. The mentioned of ‘lower ‘ pay brought everything to a standstill. 

The man started talking to his other other members of staff about my ‘proposed’ pay. Then I thought I should interject and asked- Are you talking Ghanian? Oooh I’m proudly Nigerian but of course I’m speaking broken English! I thought so-I answered.

For the rest of my time with those lovely Nigerians, we were asking ourselves why we love and hate each other in the same measure but I am afraid to say there was nothing conclusive.
Two countries, over 2000 miles apart which shares very little in common if any be it language, border, heritage or  economic strength but treat each other with great suspicion is hard to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment