Thursday 18 July 2013

My three years in a foreign land!



Daniel Towner in an evangelistic meeting held by Dwight L. Moody heard a young say,".....I'm not quite sure. But I'm going to trust, and I'm going to obey." He would later compose the following song... 

When we walk with the Lord in the light of his Word
What a glory he sheds on our way!
While we do his good will, he abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey. 

This song carries the story of my life and especially the part of being away from home.
Foreignness may manifest itself through the divergence from homogeneities distinctiveness of a place.  A foreigner can be defined through the prism of one who speaks and acts differently and in most cases one who looks different. It is therefore not hard to identify a foreigner!

My travelling out of my homeland Country Kenya opened a floodgate of experiences that would be hard to document in a single blog. These experiences have helped me to experience foreignness in its integrity, to interpret it not merely as other but in such a way to bring to light what constitutes it in its otherness. 

Over the last couple of months I have made calls, sent out letters and emails to my friends and family chronicling my experience in a foreign land; I must admit though that they are my own person's limited perception and experience and they could be one sided.

These experiences range from cultural shock to an exciting adventure.

I doubt students and people relocating from Africa to the West take time to think of where they are heading to. Rarely would anyone be bothered to ask anything about where they are going and those who do few are interested to practically reflect on it. Everyone seems excited and ready to leave. I have met few of those and their stories are those of pain and anguish.

Having worked as a cross-cultural worker for few years and making a visit to this land prior to my three year of study I had a picture of what to expect. Although I knew things were not going to be the same, like having different food, mingling with different kind of people, operating in different situations from what I’m used to, I still feel some aspects of cultural shock.

Rockets, the mint, red and yellow pepper were some of the food that was strange to me,  I had never seen them before. I would walk into restaurants and take longer than anyone in making my order. I just could not understand what to call what! One type of a dish could be served in ten or more different forms and pizza in particular would have different types which I never bothered to learn for it would only give me headache.

Accents- I mean Irish accent was a killer. First few weeks I wished I never came. I wondered whether my English teacher taught me wrongly or was someone else missing something.

 I could not understand how one car-yes- the only car on the road would wait for traffic lights to change. Back home few would wait for the lights to change; it is chaos and chaos-everyone for himself. I think traffic lights should be abolished in Nairobi!  

The social system really confused me. While here I would find more focus on the nuclear family, back home, you have the extended family with you too. In Africa, when you come into a community, you find people are very open. They come to you, they ask you who you are and they take to you automatically so much so that, sometimes, there is even the danger of their invading your territory, my new experience was totally different. People take time to warm up to you!

I struggled-yes I still do struggle to call my elders by their first name.  For example, teachers are placed on a certain pedestal in my community and any reference made to them by a student must always show some degree of respect.  Whether a nursery school teacher or a don this principle applies to all! The same applies to the normal community life elders are never referred by their first name. I must admit though that this trend is rapidly changing.

Coming from a society where freedom and justice is in most cases a prerogative of the executive, who dictates the definitions, to a society where freedom and justice is always at the interest of the public was an eye-opener.

Looking back I can admittedly say that it has been a good experience. My theology about the world has been challenged, my stereotypes put to test and in most cases found wanting and better still my faith to trust in God for food and all other essential provisions in a foreign land increased.  

Daniel Towner ends his lovely song with these words........

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at his feet,
Or we will walk by his side in the way;
What he says we will do, where he sends we will go,
Never fear, only trust and obey.

2 comments:

  1. Ticking every single statement you said I would say this is a very nice piece of knowledge and wisdom bro, be blessed for sharing it. I agree with you that one thing remains across the globe; trust and obey.
    Brother Newton.

    ReplyDelete