Sunday 1 September 2013

My memoirs continued



You have many big dreams but I want you to know that the world will not present them to you on a silver plate. 

That is what my hard working mother would say back in Gaturi, Murang’a whenever I voiced out what I want to be when I grow up. In spite of her having very little formal education and the fact that she had not travelled far away from home since birth, she somehow understood intricacies of the world systems.

On my first day to a boarding school after registration, she looked straight into my eyes and said words I will never forget. I have helped you nurture some of your dreams by offering you what I could but from now on, you are on your own.  At the school gate as she wished me well, waved bye and disappeared into the horizon, tears started running down my cheeks because I knew I was no home-bird any longer.

My four years in secondary school were to be a turnaround. It caused a paradigm shift of how I viewed things. I learnt how to live with people who were different from me either by the way they talked, ate, lived or reasoned. I was to learn how to love and care for people who blatantly did things just to annoy you-oh yes hell-bent to make your life hard. 

When I entered British Airways flight 0064 headed to Heathrow from Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta in the night of September, 26th 2010 I knew I was opening a new chapter of my life.  

 As I sat down and fastened my safety belt and placed my table tray in the upright position as required the Captain made an announcement.

Hello ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to British airways flight 0064 from Nairobi to London Heathrow Airport. Our aircraft is the Boeing 777 and our flying time is about 8.5 hours. The cabin crew will be coming around shortly after take off to offer you a meal and beverage, and the in-flight movie will begin shortly after that. I'll talk to you again before we reach our destination. Until then, sit back, relax and enjoy the flight.
Seated next to me was a young lady who could not calmly handle take off and landing without covering her ears and eyes with everything and anything available. Yes that was my first encounter with someone who suffers from aerophobia.  Coincidentally, on the row in front of me was an old friend who was headed to America.  With an empty seat next to her I joined her for the rest of the flight. She wore an American accent and seemed a little disconnected with Kenyan life. I hope she will not hate me after reading my book when I finally publish it!

I was a bit apprehensive because I did not know what awaited me on the other end of the earth.
 What happened after my late arrival at Heathrow was to mark the pace in which my life was to flow the rest of my stay here. Having lost several minutes due to delay on terminal 5 meant I had to literally run towards terminal 1 in order to catch the next flight for my final destination.  We hurriedly wished each other and left. 

 As I frantically ran towards my plane, I heard my name called for one last time through the airport sound system.  I had to up my gear to beat the grace period. 

That is how I was welcomed to this land! My mum wise words came alive yet again that it was not going to be easy but I have to always keep seeing the bright side of things.

Follow me in the next release to know what happened to a rural Kenyan boy after being thrown to the deep end. The boy who always liked ‘well cooked’ vegetables and now having to feed on green and raw salads (yes my mum cooked everything), one who was used to very hot meals to an environment where most foods would be different and cold.  Will he survive? Find out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment