Friday 28 December 2012

Could iServe Africa be the saviour to African most-awaited leadership salvation?


I wonder whether this would be a necessary question to ask on the fourth day of Christmas. Probably I should be keeping myself busy with four dill pickles, three chocolate shakes, two apple pies and a one big fatty cheeseburger! To make matters worse I am not just asking the question but also trying to answer it while holding the blasphemous works of Richard Dawkins in the background.  Well, what other time would deem more appropriate for me to scrutinise his works which is full of profanity than now when we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
Richard Dawkins a renowned atheist in his book God Delusion argues that religion is to the most evil thing that has ever happened to mankind.  In one of his many stories he tells of himself being in Ireland and while addressing Catholic child abuse scandal he says and I quote…...”horrible as sexual abuse no doubt was, the damage was arguably less than the long term psychological damage inflicted by bringing up the child catholic in the first place.” According to him bringing up children in any form of religion is the worst child abuse ever! Though very coherent in his arguments, his works do not move me even an inch but what led me to read his works was some very interesting statements made by his fellow atheist and countryman, Matthew Parris.
I wonder whether Matthew Parris, a journalist and former conservative politician knows something that Richard Dawkins does not.   Having spent most if not all his formative life outside Britain and a huge proportion being Global South like South Africa, Harare, Swaziland and Kingston further thoughts pushes me to ask more questions. Whether according to him does being atheist have anything to do with location?
 Richard Dawkins while arguing that religion is the most evil thing to have happened offers a remedy—science—which according to him is the answers to our suffering. Matthew Parris after his experience in Africa write to The Times 2008 taking a radical shift on this with very profound words unlikely to come from atheist quarters………“Now a confirmed atheist, I’ve become convinced of the enormous contribution that Christian evangelism makes in Africa: sharply distinct from the work of secular NGOs, government projects and international aid efforts,” ….“These alone will not do. Education and training alone will not do.” He does not stop there but continues with unbelievable  statements , “In Africa, Christianity changes people’s hearts. It brings a spiritual transformation. The rebirth is real. The change is good.”
Some weeks ago, preceding Christmas I received a quarterly newsletter from iServe Africa communication desk, a young Christian organisation spearheaded by Africans for African people. With an intention of raising and inspiring young Africans to take up leadership role whether in Churches or in the corporate world, iServe Africa focuses on young graduates from colleges as they take a gap year after graduation.  I have read their newsletter sent to me over and over and am definitely sure it is going to pop up on my reading list again soon.
One of the stories that capture my heart is from one young fresh graduate, Hilda Polle turned apprentice serving among children.  The following extracts from her own reflections are just but  fabulous ……….
”Just before I graduated from Kenyatta University(Nairobi)  in June this year, I already had my life figured out; I knew where and when and how my life would be. ... Next in mind was how I would spend the fat salary that would soon be coming my way. …….. My list of priorities were all about me and getting the best out of life. Just like any other young fresh graduate, I was ready to get into the rat race of getting everything I could at the slightest opportunity available…... I finally found myself making up my mind to join ministry and serve the Lord for a year. …….One of my biggest concerns in service has been to be faithful, even so when it comes to gospel ministry. This is one of those things that attracted me to iServe Africa, their focus on faithful-ness. ……It saddens me to see on television the many people being deceived by prosperity preachers and self seeking men and women in the name of God. This makes me want to play my part in serving faithfully.” Hilda sums up her reflections with a wonderful tone.  “I am learning as well to completely trust the Lord in everything and for everything. This far He is Ebenezer.”
Like Matthew Parris, I am convinced without an iota of doubt that Christianity and especially Christian mission in Africa is the solution to African problems and more so the tremendous efforts witnessed from groups like iServe Africa in reshaping the concept of leadership in our continent.
I will have Richard Dawkins, an imperialist and rationalist know that these wonderful stories and others that are mushrooming from every part of the continent would form a credible datasheet in his science lab that could INDEED change his radical views into acknowledging that CHRISTIANITY IS THE ONLY WAY FORWARD!!!!  LONG LIVE iSERVE AFRICA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment